Skip to main content

EEND678 Course Reflection

Throughout this class, a few things have stuck with me. The first of these are the modules and resources related to project based learning. As indicated in my artifact reflections, I look away a lot from these assignments. They helped me to realize that implementing PBLs into the classroom, doesn’t seem so intangible now. After thinking about his type of learning through these assignments, I can see how using PBLs in my classroom could be feasible.

Going back through the modules to prepare for this reflection, I was also reminded of the techtool hunt we completed on the Google Doc. I had forgotten how useful that document is. This chart gives us access to many, many tech resources, some of which I have never even heard of. I have made a copy of this chart to use in the future. I think this was a great way for people to share resources and it creates a database. One of the hardest parts about technology integration is hearing about great resources, but not having a place for them in your classroom right now. It is only later, once you have forgotten about the tool, that a need arises. I think it’s great to have a place to house all kinds of resources so that as needs come up, there is a place to turn. I will definitely be using this chart in the future.

Lastly, I enjoyed the module on flipped learning. This was another area that I was unsure of using in my classroom. Our school has multiple blended class formats, but I had trouble seeing how this could fit into my class. Through the creation of the short, flipped video, I realized that I could probably use a lot of the flipped elements as re-teaching opportunities. I think this would be especially beneficial for the writing process and modeling what a drafting and/or revision process looks like. I do still have concerns about teaching new material in a flipped way because of concerns over students not watching the videos. I do like how Katie Gimbar explains her process of having students take notes while watching the videos so that they are easily identified at the beginning of the next class. This gives her time to group students by who is ready to move on and who is not. This may be one solution, but I don’t think I am ready to fully implement learning in this way. I do want to, however, use some flipped videos as re-teaching opportunities and for planning for absences next year!

Comments

  1. Steph,
    Your reflection sums up the content of this course. I agree with you flipped video is a great tool that we can use in our classroom; Like you, I am using it to reteach my students in their second language. Parents love this tool because it facilitates the bridge between home and school and the two languages.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Let me introduce myself...

Hi! My name is Stephanie and I am a special education teacher at Naperville North High School. I just wrapped up my fourth year at NNHS. Since I began teaching, I have taught and co-taught a variety of classes: biology, earth science, algebra 1, algebra 2 core, English 2, resource, and literacy workshop.  Prior to teaching, I attending the University of Illinois and studied psychology. While there, I was an avid participant in our student athletic board and cheered on our Illini, even though it was often hard to do. After graduating, I attend Lewis University where I received my Master's in special education, which ultimately led me to NNHS! I am married and have an 18 month old son who is always very busy! When it comes to technology, I feel pretty comfortable with digital learning. Our school is entering the third year of one to one using chromebooks. Learning with our students has been incredibly rewarding. I have been able to implement much more into my classes than I

677Y Module 8 Discussion and Course Reflection

Module 8:  When it comes to augmented and virtual reality in the classroom, I have had no experience. That being said, I have come in to contact with both elements outside of school. I use Snapchat frequently, and most of the filters are augmented reality. While I don’t have a virtual reality system, I have used them and can see the excitement over the experience. After reviewing the article “Virtual Reality vs Augmented Reality” by Augment, I think the use of augmented reality would be more easily inserted into the classroom. It seems like devices that are readily available, such as iPhones and iPads, possess the ability to enhance the classroom with augmented reality; whereas, virtual reality would require entirely different devices. The learning commons in our school has a section where students can access augmented reality. Patricia Brown speaks about this capability in her article, “How to Transform Your classroom with Augmented Reality.” She says, “There are practical example

EEND 675 Artifact 2 -- Creating a Collaborative Assignment

The second artifact I would like to reflect on involved an assignment in which we were asked to create an assignment or task students could complete by working collaboratively. This sounded easy enough to do, as students collaborate all day on work. Why this specific assignment stood out to me, is that I really had to step back and think about how do I ask students to collaborate on the same piece of work using different devices in order to help the greater good? I say working for the greater good because to me, this is really the purpose of collaboration. Two heads are better than one, right? Right! As long as those two heads are working toward the same purpose. In the past, I suppose collaboration has involved students using one computer to “collaborate” on an assignment. With the effective implementation of technology, students can now easily and equally contribute on the same piece of work. Designing collaborative work does come with its challenges. It was important to think abou