Skip to main content

Graphic Design in the Classroom

Incorporating graphic design into the classroom can be valuable for many reasons. Graphic designs can help with differentiation. By presenting information in different ways, teachers are able to reach learners with all types of learning strengths. Graphics in the classroom also support universal design. Using visuals in the classroom plans to meet the needs of everyone, regardless of their literacy levels or background knowledge of a concept. Graphics in the classroom not only support visual learners, but they can also enhance engagement. According to the Vengage article “8 examples of incorporating infographics in middle school classrooms”, by Jonna Mae Mango, the author states, “complex data and difficult lessons can now be compressed in an engaging way.” Mango explains that not only do graphics allow learners to be engaged with content, but they also allow these learners to engage with concepts that are complex and otherwise difficult to understand. Research shows us that students remember more of what they see and hear than when students only hear material. Graphic design also has the ability to inspire learners and get them excited about a topic that may have been otherwise uninteresting.

In order to better support learners in our classrooms teachers can help students learn how to communicate visually. We should be teaching them not only how to read graphics and visuals, but also how to create them and share what they know in a 21st century way. Teachers naturally use graphic organizers to support the writing process, but why don’t we use graphics and graphic organizers more readily in the classroom to support understanding of content? We know these organizers work to teach students organization in their writing, so it would be seem logical that we could support learners in our classroom through the use of more graphics. Teachers can also actively consider the tools and rules of design as outlined in Heather Dowd’s presentation “Tell me in a Graphic.” The use of color, font, shape, contrast, alignment, repetition, and proximity should be considered in the development of resources. Students with visual impairments would greatly benefit from teachers using the appropriate colors, fonts, and contrasts to meet those students’ needs. Considering students absorb so much of what they see, using icons in the classroom can help provide visual reminders and prompts to content and expectations in the classroom.

In my Literacy Workshop class we are about to begin doing some reading and activities with 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens. I was planning on going over the habits with them as an introduction, but not necessarily reading the introduction out of the book (we only have digital copies available). The concept of the habits is that the first three are about developing good habits within yourself, then good habits with others, and then being able to renew yourself. The author, Sean Covey, illustrates this in the book through the use of a tree. He says you have to accomplish good habits within yourself before you can with others. He presents this as personal habits being the root system of the tree and collaborative habits as the trunk and branches. Upon considering the use of graphics in the classroom with this week’s assignments, I actually think I do want to spend time going over the tree visual with my students. I think this will give them a good visual on why you have to improve yourself before you can improve your relationships with others. I would also like to have them create a graphic of their own in which they demonstrate this same principle to solidify their understand.

Comments

  1. Loved your comment about using graphic organizers in other content areas. I also teach instructional math as well as instructional language arts. Your comment made me think about how I could incorporate the use of graphics for math instruction, especially when my students fail to get a concept using more traditional approaches. I also like your idea of asking students to come up with their own graphic to demonstrate the tree concept. What a great way for students to demonstrate their understanding of the concept while also encouraging higher-order thinking. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erika -- I hadn't really considered how asking students to use visuals would be a higher order thinking skill, but you're totally right, it is. Now that I think about it, students could be creating graphics and visuals to represent concepts as extension activities when they have already mastered the essential standards. This would allow time for remediation of skills for students who have not yet shown that mastery.

      Delete
  2. Stephanie,

    You make an excellent point about using visuals to reach all students regardless of literacy ability/level. Based on the information in our modules, I was aware that students retain more information through the use of visuals, but I had not considered how using them would also be a an efficient way to make even complex and difficult material accessible to all learners. Upon reflection, I need to incorporate more visuals in my instruction. I have students create visuals throughout the semester, but mainly for presentations. Your tree idea is is on point. I might need to steal it for my class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason -- I feel like presentations are really the only time I have students create visuals too. I think I need to seriously consider different lessons that I'm teaching and when I could have students demonstrate their understanding through visuals and graphics instead of writing. Plus, offering student choice would make for more authentic assessments. So much of students' lives are visually driven, it would only make sense to give them more practice with these skills, rather than only focusing on their writing.

      Also, feel free to steal!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Let me introduce myself...

Hi! My name is Stephanie and I am a special education teacher at Naperville North High School. I just wrapped up my fourth year at NNHS. Since I began teaching, I have taught and co-taught a variety of classes: biology, earth science, algebra 1, algebra 2 core, English 2, resource, and literacy workshop.  Prior to teaching, I attending the University of Illinois and studied psychology. While there, I was an avid participant in our student athletic board and cheered on our Illini, even though it was often hard to do. After graduating, I attend Lewis University where I received my Master's in special education, which ultimately led me to NNHS! I am married and have an 18 month old son who is always very busy! When it comes to technology, I feel pretty comfortable with digital learning. Our school is entering the third year of one to one using chromebooks. Learning with our students has been incredibly rewarding. I have been able to implement much more into my classes than I

677Y Module 8 Discussion and Course Reflection

Module 8:  When it comes to augmented and virtual reality in the classroom, I have had no experience. That being said, I have come in to contact with both elements outside of school. I use Snapchat frequently, and most of the filters are augmented reality. While I don’t have a virtual reality system, I have used them and can see the excitement over the experience. After reviewing the article “Virtual Reality vs Augmented Reality” by Augment, I think the use of augmented reality would be more easily inserted into the classroom. It seems like devices that are readily available, such as iPhones and iPads, possess the ability to enhance the classroom with augmented reality; whereas, virtual reality would require entirely different devices. The learning commons in our school has a section where students can access augmented reality. Patricia Brown speaks about this capability in her article, “How to Transform Your classroom with Augmented Reality.” She says, “There are practical example

EEND 675 Artifact 2 -- Creating a Collaborative Assignment

The second artifact I would like to reflect on involved an assignment in which we were asked to create an assignment or task students could complete by working collaboratively. This sounded easy enough to do, as students collaborate all day on work. Why this specific assignment stood out to me, is that I really had to step back and think about how do I ask students to collaborate on the same piece of work using different devices in order to help the greater good? I say working for the greater good because to me, this is really the purpose of collaboration. Two heads are better than one, right? Right! As long as those two heads are working toward the same purpose. In the past, I suppose collaboration has involved students using one computer to “collaborate” on an assignment. With the effective implementation of technology, students can now easily and equally contribute on the same piece of work. Designing collaborative work does come with its challenges. It was important to think abou