Skip to main content

Samurai...Rat Pack…T-what?!

To me, the terms to describe technology integration into the classroom get confusing; however, when push comes to shove, they all have the same goal. Each model of technology integration aims to explain how educators implement tech into the classroom, and defines levels or clusters that describe different types of integration. Three prominent models of technology integration are SAMR, RAT, and TPACK. Prior to this week’s lesson, I was really only familiar with SAMR; this is most likely due to the fact this is what our district has taught us about. With that being said, I’ve always had a difficult time understanding the difference between augmentation and modification. To me, these two levels seem very similar, and yet one is “above the line” while the other is “below the line.” Common Sense Media explain this line as representing when an educator goes beyond enhancing learning and when they are transforming learning (find the video here). While I understand that perspective, I still struggled to see and understand the difference between augmentation and modification. While researching these integration models a bit more, I quickly discovered I related much more to the RAT model. RAT stands for replacement, amplification, and transformation. While these levels are very similar to SAMR (in fact, the graphics are very similar), it is simplified in that the “A” and the “M” become one.  

According to Sean McHugh, replacement means “tech serves merely as a means to the same instructional end,” while amplification means “tech increases efficiency and productivity without fundamental change,” and lastly transformation means “tech allows forms of instruction and learning that were previously inconceivable” (Find McHugh's blog post here). These levels make more sense to me because I can see clearly defined levels.  I also like this model because there is no line. The “line” makes me feel as though if I am not going above it, I must not be teaching well. While within the RAT model, I will still seek to enhance my instruction with activities that were inconceivable without technology, I do not feel as though I am doing a “bad” job if all I have done is increase the efficiency of my students’ learning.

With all of that being said, I do believe that I am firmly within the augmentation level of the RAT model. I do feel like technology has allowed my efficiency to increase and my students have been more productive in and out of the classroom because of it. I have been able to provide them instant feedback, which has allowed them to make immediate changes or reinforce their great work. I believe I originally saw our Chromebooks being a replacement of traditional paper and pencil learning; however, with some professional development and experience I have learned this is not the case. I believe that I have danced, as they say, in the level of transformation. I have taught some lessons that have allowed students to collaborate in ways that would not have been possible before the use of technology. I do not believe, however, that I am not firmly in this level. To be honest, I am not sure how anyone could remain in the transformation level for long. I do believe there  are traditional learning experiences that cannot be taught with the use of technology. It is important for educators to not forget about “what works” and make sure that their use of technology is not moving their students in the wrong direction at times. I suppose this take repeated practice and experience. While I don’t believe you can stay in the transformation level, I do think that it will continue to be a place that I aspire to be in.



PS -- I would like to give a nod to the T-PACK model. T-PACK stands for technological pedagogical content knowledge. This model is much too complicated for me to really feel comfortable explaining and relating to it; however. I do truly appreciate the fact that this is really the only model I felt helped to explain the importance that educators truly understanding and have knowledge about technology in order for it to enhance their teaching. It is when these three types of knowledge come together that we are able to transform learning for students. TPACK's website, http://www.tpack.org, gives great explanations of each individual cluster and what they mean. I included a graphic below with their permission for a quick insight into the model.

The TPACK Image (rights free). Read below to learn how to use the image in your own works. Right click to download the high-resolution version of this image.

Reproduced by permission of the publisher, © 2012 by tpack.org

Comments

  1. Stephanie,

    You and I agree on many elements regarding the tech models and frameworks presented this week. I agree that RAT is more user-friendly and the T-PACK framework is a bit confusing in a time when tools need to be as simplified as possible. Like you, I am most familiar with SAMR, but plan on referencing RAT in the future. Your comments regarding 'THE LINE' are exactly how I imagine most educators feel...like it's a judgement line and if you are below it, you are not doing your job well. However, you make a great point in stating that you do not feel as if you've done a bad job as long as you have increased student efficiency. I totally agree with this statement. I'm uncertain what statistics indicate or if any are even available, but my experience leads me to believe most teachers are instructing and learning in the same levels as you and me. As you mentioned, it would be quite difficult to instruct and learn in the Transformation/Redefinition levels on a constant basis. This may occur over time, but significant time dedicated to professional learning and resources would be necessary.

    I agree with you in that teachers need to focus on what is important and to not forget about what works. At times I feel I am so determined to to be in the Transformation/Redefinition levels that I sacrifice aspects of my lesson that are just as necessary albeit a bit "antiquated'. You made reference to teachers making sure not to move students in the wrong direction with their use of technology. Can you clarify this? Do you mean something similar to what I stated when I mentioned I work to be at levels that at this point, I am not ready to teach/learn in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason,
      Yes, I think that the feeling we NEED to use technology can take away from the vital components of our teaching that we now feel are "antiquated," as you stated. Are we actually taking away learning from our students by trying to use technology? I think it's important that educators always weigh benefits and costs of what they use in the classroom, and making sure we have the knowledge to use certain pieces of technology is important as we consider these pros and cons.

      Delete
  2. "I believe I originally saw our Chromebooks being a replacement of traditional paper and pencil learning; however, with some professional development and experience I have learned this is not the case. I believe that I have danced, as they say, in the level of transformation. "

    Stephanie, that's great! I'm glad you've been able to get to the transformation level. Impressive!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Let me introduce myself...

Hi! My name is Stephanie and I am a special education teacher at Naperville North High School. I just wrapped up my fourth year at NNHS. Since I began teaching, I have taught and co-taught a variety of classes: biology, earth science, algebra 1, algebra 2 core, English 2, resource, and literacy workshop.  Prior to teaching, I attending the University of Illinois and studied psychology. While there, I was an avid participant in our student athletic board and cheered on our Illini, even though it was often hard to do. After graduating, I attend Lewis University where I received my Master's in special education, which ultimately led me to NNHS! I am married and have an 18 month old son who is always very busy! When it comes to technology, I feel pretty comfortable with digital learning. Our school is entering the third year of one to one using chromebooks. Learning with our students has been incredibly rewarding. I have been able to implement much more into my classes than I

677Y Module 8 Discussion and Course Reflection

Module 8:  When it comes to augmented and virtual reality in the classroom, I have had no experience. That being said, I have come in to contact with both elements outside of school. I use Snapchat frequently, and most of the filters are augmented reality. While I don’t have a virtual reality system, I have used them and can see the excitement over the experience. After reviewing the article “Virtual Reality vs Augmented Reality” by Augment, I think the use of augmented reality would be more easily inserted into the classroom. It seems like devices that are readily available, such as iPhones and iPads, possess the ability to enhance the classroom with augmented reality; whereas, virtual reality would require entirely different devices. The learning commons in our school has a section where students can access augmented reality. Patricia Brown speaks about this capability in her article, “How to Transform Your classroom with Augmented Reality.” She says, “There are practical example

EEND 675 Artifact 2 -- Creating a Collaborative Assignment

The second artifact I would like to reflect on involved an assignment in which we were asked to create an assignment or task students could complete by working collaboratively. This sounded easy enough to do, as students collaborate all day on work. Why this specific assignment stood out to me, is that I really had to step back and think about how do I ask students to collaborate on the same piece of work using different devices in order to help the greater good? I say working for the greater good because to me, this is really the purpose of collaboration. Two heads are better than one, right? Right! As long as those two heads are working toward the same purpose. In the past, I suppose collaboration has involved students using one computer to “collaborate” on an assignment. With the effective implementation of technology, students can now easily and equally contribute on the same piece of work. Designing collaborative work does come with its challenges. It was important to think abou