Skip to main content

EEND678 Artifact 1 -- PBL Planning

The first artifact that I chose to reflect on from this course was the PBL planning assignment. I chose to include this artifact in my reflection because I felt as though it really challenged me. While I had certainly heard of project based learning prior to this course, I had not actually spent anytime pursuing how I could implement project based learning (PBL) into my class. In the general overview I had of PBLs, I could not see how this model could be one I used given curriculum demands, time constraints, and IEP goals to be working on. The creation of this assignment forced me to reevaluate my previous notions of this type of learning. In preparation for this assignment, I utilized some resources that helped me to do this reevaluation. For instance, the Edutopia article “What the Heck is Project-Based Learning?”, written by Heather Wolpert-Gawron, clarified that while there are many elements that define PBL, not every project has to meet every element in order to be classified as this type of learning. When discussing the elements of PBL, Wolpert-Gawron states, “Brief note here: Don't panic. You don't need every single one of these elements to call your unit PBL. These are elements to strive for, not to kill yourself to achieve.” This helped me realize I could achieve many of these elements in designing instruction to meet my student’s needs. 

Through the completion of PBL planning assignment I was able to identify three different projects that I felt confident could address the developmental needs of my students, align with district curriculum, and provide me accurate and usable data to report on and update IEP goals. 

Here is the outline of my PBLs:



Some challenges of creating this type of assignment is that it takes a great deal of planning and forethought. Teachers have to be okay with transferring ownership of the final products from themselves to students. Also, thinking of how to implement technology in a variety of ways and to make learning authentic, can also be a challenge. If we were not a one to one district, I am not sure how I would have conquered this aspect of PBLs. Lastly, while not many teachers in my building are doing this kind of work, if they were, I imagine it would be a challenge to find new sources of information and technology so that students are not repeating the same sort of processes across all of their classes. 

Since the assignment for this class was to design instruction for students, this could be easily implemented into the classroom. After doing this brainstorming, creation of a UBD (see next blog post) would help to solidify the instruction that students would be receiving. I think completing an outline like this at the beginning of the year or semester would be a great planning tool for teachers to think about how they could begin to use project based learning in their classrooms!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let me introduce myself...

Hi! My name is Stephanie and I am a special education teacher at Naperville North High School. I just wrapped up my fourth year at NNHS. Since I began teaching, I have taught and co-taught a variety of classes: biology, earth science, algebra 1, algebra 2 core, English 2, resource, and literacy workshop.  Prior to teaching, I attending the University of Illinois and studied psychology. While there, I was an avid participant in our student athletic board and cheered on our Illini, even though it was often hard to do. After graduating, I attend Lewis University where I received my Master's in special education, which ultimately led me to NNHS! I am married and have an 18 month old son who is always very busy! When it comes to technology, I feel pretty comfortable with digital learning. Our school is entering the third year of one to one using chromebooks. Learning with our students has been incredibly rewarding. I have been able to implement much more into my classes than I

677Y Module 8 Discussion and Course Reflection

Module 8:  When it comes to augmented and virtual reality in the classroom, I have had no experience. That being said, I have come in to contact with both elements outside of school. I use Snapchat frequently, and most of the filters are augmented reality. While I don’t have a virtual reality system, I have used them and can see the excitement over the experience. After reviewing the article “Virtual Reality vs Augmented Reality” by Augment, I think the use of augmented reality would be more easily inserted into the classroom. It seems like devices that are readily available, such as iPhones and iPads, possess the ability to enhance the classroom with augmented reality; whereas, virtual reality would require entirely different devices. The learning commons in our school has a section where students can access augmented reality. Patricia Brown speaks about this capability in her article, “How to Transform Your classroom with Augmented Reality.” She says, “There are practical example

EEND 675 Artifact 2 -- Creating a Collaborative Assignment

The second artifact I would like to reflect on involved an assignment in which we were asked to create an assignment or task students could complete by working collaboratively. This sounded easy enough to do, as students collaborate all day on work. Why this specific assignment stood out to me, is that I really had to step back and think about how do I ask students to collaborate on the same piece of work using different devices in order to help the greater good? I say working for the greater good because to me, this is really the purpose of collaboration. Two heads are better than one, right? Right! As long as those two heads are working toward the same purpose. In the past, I suppose collaboration has involved students using one computer to “collaborate” on an assignment. With the effective implementation of technology, students can now easily and equally contribute on the same piece of work. Designing collaborative work does come with its challenges. It was important to think abou