Skip to main content

EEND677 Artifact 2 -- Share Your Story

The second artifact I chose to share for the purpose of this reflection is the Twitter Moment I created for the “Share Your Story” assignment. I will be honest, this assignment was tough for me. I had a hard time balancing the parameters of the assignment and what I could actually take away and use in my classroom. Teaching in a high school, I find it hard to figure out how much communication from me to parents is necessary, versus teaching students how to communicate with their families and involve them in their education. I chose to include the artifact because I felt like I finally found a tool that would allow me to include parents in our classroom activities, without giving them too much information, and giving them some talking starters to help communicate with their students. In her article “Effective Communication via a Classroom Newsletter,” Janelle Cox states “maintaining effective communication between parents and teachers is the key to student success.” I found using Twitter moments allows me to succinctly sum up what is going on in class to help foster this communication. 

In essence, Twitter Moments allows you to link a series of Tweets so that one URL can be shared out. This allows parents to follow your series of Tweets, without needing to follow you on Twitter. You can create a different Moment for each class, which would allow parents to only see what’s happening in their student’s class, rather than every section you teach. This seemed like a great way to communicate with parents in that Twitter is accessible everywhere, many parents are on or know how to use Twitter, and it gives brief updates for busy families.

You can find the Twitter Moment I started creating for my Lit Workshop class here, or at the bottom of this entry. 

Some challenges in creating a Twitter Moment include figuring out how to sum up classroom activities so that it is meaningful for parents. Tweets need to be concise due to character limits, but need to be detailed enough to allow for family involvement. The Tweets also need to act as a springboard for conversations for students to have with their families. Another challenge to using Twitter moments is that you need to get families involved. Since it is not something you can send home in a student’s folder, encouraging parents to use the resource can be a challenge, especially for families who do not have access to technology. A third challenge to using Twitter moments is that the use of the resource needs to be done continuously, as to not lose interest by families. At the same time, a teacher needs to be cautious about oversharing, which would also make the tool ineffective for students and their parents. Lastly, many districts have policies regarding Twitter, and it may be a challenge to figure out how to use Twitter Moments and stay in compliance with district rules. 

While I had originally looked at this tool as being something I could create to share with parents as a form of keeping them involved, I think there are other possibilities as well. For instance, students themselves could Tweet and add their own input into a classroom Twitter Moment. Students can also use Twitter Moments for class assignments and group work as another form of assessment. Lastly, Twitter Moments can be used by the school as a whole, which would allow teachers, club sponsors, and coaches to all post to one place that families could access as needed. I am sure there are other possibilities for this tool in school as well, but I am excited to starting using this as a means of communication with my families!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let me introduce myself...

Hi! My name is Stephanie and I am a special education teacher at Naperville North High School. I just wrapped up my fourth year at NNHS. Since I began teaching, I have taught and co-taught a variety of classes: biology, earth science, algebra 1, algebra 2 core, English 2, resource, and literacy workshop.  Prior to teaching, I attending the University of Illinois and studied psychology. While there, I was an avid participant in our student athletic board and cheered on our Illini, even though it was often hard to do. After graduating, I attend Lewis University where I received my Master's in special education, which ultimately led me to NNHS! I am married and have an 18 month old son who is always very busy! When it comes to technology, I feel pretty comfortable with digital learning. Our school is entering the third year of one to one using chromebooks. Learning with our students has been incredibly rewarding. I have been able to implement much more into my classes than I

677Y Module 8 Discussion and Course Reflection

Module 8:  When it comes to augmented and virtual reality in the classroom, I have had no experience. That being said, I have come in to contact with both elements outside of school. I use Snapchat frequently, and most of the filters are augmented reality. While I don’t have a virtual reality system, I have used them and can see the excitement over the experience. After reviewing the article “Virtual Reality vs Augmented Reality” by Augment, I think the use of augmented reality would be more easily inserted into the classroom. It seems like devices that are readily available, such as iPhones and iPads, possess the ability to enhance the classroom with augmented reality; whereas, virtual reality would require entirely different devices. The learning commons in our school has a section where students can access augmented reality. Patricia Brown speaks about this capability in her article, “How to Transform Your classroom with Augmented Reality.” She says, “There are practical example

EEND 675 Artifact 2 -- Creating a Collaborative Assignment

The second artifact I would like to reflect on involved an assignment in which we were asked to create an assignment or task students could complete by working collaboratively. This sounded easy enough to do, as students collaborate all day on work. Why this specific assignment stood out to me, is that I really had to step back and think about how do I ask students to collaborate on the same piece of work using different devices in order to help the greater good? I say working for the greater good because to me, this is really the purpose of collaboration. Two heads are better than one, right? Right! As long as those two heads are working toward the same purpose. In the past, I suppose collaboration has involved students using one computer to “collaborate” on an assignment. With the effective implementation of technology, students can now easily and equally contribute on the same piece of work. Designing collaborative work does come with its challenges. It was important to think abou