Skip to main content

EEND675 Course Reflection

Throughout this class, I have had a few major take-aways. The first of these is just being aware of the ISTE standards. When our district went one to one, I did not pay much attention to what exactly we were hoping to accomplish with this move. To me, the addition of technology in the classroom was really to make everyone’s lives easier and more interactive. Through experience tied in with the knowledge gleaned from this class, I have become much more aware of what it is we want students to know and be able to do because of the implementation of technology. By directing my attention to the ISTE standards, I now have a reference to use when creating assignments for my students. I can use this information, tied in with curriculum, to help best inform my instruction.
Another take-away I had from this course was being much more aware of copyright laws and fair use rights for education. I’ll be honest, in the past, I have not paid much attention to copyright information. I frequently put images and links in my presentations for students without second guessing the appropriateness of doing so. We constantly preach to high schoolers about the importance of giving credit where credit is due, and yet I didn’t really relate that back to my own practice. By reading up on fair use clauses and searching for images labeled for reuse to use on projects for this class, I have become acutely more aware of my practices. I plan to take this awareness with me as I move forward in my career.
My third and final take away from this class is the importance of collaboration. This idea is really two-fold. I have reflected on the importance of student to student collaboration and how technology can really enhance this. For instance, I am very excited about the possibility of using FlipGrid in my classroom and allowing students to respond to one another through this. Throughout this class I was also reminded of importance of peer collaboration. I have learned a great deal from the other students in this class. It is has been extremely helpful to hear about others’ experiences with different pieces of technology, both positives and negatives. I am going into the 2017-2018 school year with some great tools to start implementing thanks to the collaboration with colleagues!

Comments

  1. Aaah, you are so right when you say that we preach proper citations to our students but don't follow them ourselves. Talk about hypocritical! I really need to do a better job in citing the videos and images that I use in my classroom. I'm sure that it will be a pain in the beginning, but once we get used to it, I'm sure it will go quicker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ISTE standards! Good call. I'm glad we learned about those as well. I would like to start keeping these in mind when I lesson plan and incorporate tech.

    I also agree that collaboration is of great importance. I use it quite a bit with my students, but I realize now that I need to collaborate more with my on-site peers as well as with peers online. Instead of just using 'stuff' I find. I need to collaborate more.

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Let me introduce myself...

Hi! My name is Stephanie and I am a special education teacher at Naperville North High School. I just wrapped up my fourth year at NNHS. Since I began teaching, I have taught and co-taught a variety of classes: biology, earth science, algebra 1, algebra 2 core, English 2, resource, and literacy workshop.  Prior to teaching, I attending the University of Illinois and studied psychology. While there, I was an avid participant in our student athletic board and cheered on our Illini, even though it was often hard to do. After graduating, I attend Lewis University where I received my Master's in special education, which ultimately led me to NNHS! I am married and have an 18 month old son who is always very busy! When it comes to technology, I feel pretty comfortable with digital learning. Our school is entering the third year of one to one using chromebooks. Learning with our students has been incredibly rewarding. I have been able to implement much more into my classes than I

677Y Module 8 Discussion and Course Reflection

Module 8:  When it comes to augmented and virtual reality in the classroom, I have had no experience. That being said, I have come in to contact with both elements outside of school. I use Snapchat frequently, and most of the filters are augmented reality. While I don’t have a virtual reality system, I have used them and can see the excitement over the experience. After reviewing the article “Virtual Reality vs Augmented Reality” by Augment, I think the use of augmented reality would be more easily inserted into the classroom. It seems like devices that are readily available, such as iPhones and iPads, possess the ability to enhance the classroom with augmented reality; whereas, virtual reality would require entirely different devices. The learning commons in our school has a section where students can access augmented reality. Patricia Brown speaks about this capability in her article, “How to Transform Your classroom with Augmented Reality.” She says, “There are practical example

EEND 675 Artifact 2 -- Creating a Collaborative Assignment

The second artifact I would like to reflect on involved an assignment in which we were asked to create an assignment or task students could complete by working collaboratively. This sounded easy enough to do, as students collaborate all day on work. Why this specific assignment stood out to me, is that I really had to step back and think about how do I ask students to collaborate on the same piece of work using different devices in order to help the greater good? I say working for the greater good because to me, this is really the purpose of collaboration. Two heads are better than one, right? Right! As long as those two heads are working toward the same purpose. In the past, I suppose collaboration has involved students using one computer to “collaborate” on an assignment. With the effective implementation of technology, students can now easily and equally contribute on the same piece of work. Designing collaborative work does come with its challenges. It was important to think abou